June 12, 2011
The 2011 Asbury Park Tri will be 1 distance.
Swim - 750m
Bike - 14.5 miles
Run - 3 miles
7:00am Swim Start
The Swim will be in the Atlantic Ocean and on the beach in Asbury Park. The finish of the race will be on the Boardwalk in Asbury Park. The Asbury Park Boardwalk is located in Central New Jersey about 60 minutes south of New York City, and is conveniently accessible by the North Jersey Coast Line out of Newark and New York.
Transition Area and Body Marking:
All athletes will have their body marked by race volunteers prior to entering the Transition Area. Please be sure to give the volunteers the correct age and race bib number when getting marked.
Transition will be in the Parking Lot of the Historic Casino located at Asbury and Ocean Avenues.
It is recommended that all athletes bring a towel to put under their transition gear. Transition, will be accessible to only athletes with a wristband/bib/bike number.
No outside assistance may enter the transition area.
**This race will be chip timed. After the race you will be able to access your timing splits for, Overall time, swim, T1, Bike, T2, and run. Your timing chip will be issued at packet pick-up. All athletes are responsible for the return of their timing chip after they cross the finish line. Anyone that has lost their timing chip before or after the race will be responsible for a $20.00 fee to the timing company.
** Each athlete is responsible for crossing each timing mat. Just being in the “general area” of the mat does not always work and could cause the athlete to have incorrect split times or no time recorded at all. Each athlete must ensure a secure fit of the strap when issued your chip.
Packet Pick-up: (For more details, see the "Schedule of Events" menu on the left)
June 11, 2011 - Packet Pick-up will be on the Boardwalk, at the offices of Madison Marquette at 1100 Ocean Ave. Enter from the Boardwalk, from 3pm to 7pm on June 11th, the day before the race.
There will be a race day packet pick-up! Please read the"Schedule of Events" (menu button on the left of your screen) for info and times.
Only athletes with a photo ID will be allowed to pick up their packet. NO Exceptions!
All Relay members must show up at packet pick-up to sign your waiver.
The NEW registration site on ImAthlete allows you to buy your 1 day license online with your credit card!! It also will auto check your USAT card # and license status.
All athletes will receive a swim cap (required to be worn during the swim), a bike number and helmet number and a run bib number at packet pick-up. You will be assigned a swim wave time as well as pick up your race t-shirt* and a goody bag filled with swag from the race sponsors.
Although we anticipate that the majority of questions are answered right here on the website, nothing can take the place of previewing the course and coming to the Pre Race briefings. Any new additions and/or course changes will be discussed and a physical walkthrough of the start, transition and finish line will be offered by the race directors. Check out the Race Schedule for exact times.
All aid stations for each race will be supported. Each station will have water, Hammer Nutrition's HEED (High Endurance Electrolyte Drink) and Hammer Gel.
Run Course - The Run Course will have 5 aid stations.
Finisher Medals and Awards:
All finishers will receive a custom, die cast, finisher’s medal with a custom colored ribbon!
8 x10 Photo Plaques will be awarded to the top 3 males and the top 3 females overall for the race.
The rest of the field will receive a 5x7 custom photo plaque, for the top 3 places in each age group. An Award Certificate will be presented to athletes to claim a custom photo plaque provided by Zazoosh, our Official Race Photographer. Award certificates will be distributed at the awards ceremony.
There are no refunds for this race. There are also no refunds for race cancellation due to weather or the effects of weather.
- All athletes must race with a top on during the bike and run. Any athlete racing shirtless will receive a time penalty. This penalty will be added to the athletes total time.
- No one may wear ipods, mp3 player or any form of headphones, during ANY part of the race.
- Per USAT Rule 4.4 Wet suits. Each age group participant shall be permitted to wear a wet suit without penalty in any event sanctioned by USA Triathlon up to and including a water temperature of 78 degrees Fahrenheit. When the water temperature is greater than 78 degrees, but less than 84 degrees Fahrenheit, age group participants may wear a wet suit at their own discretion, provided however that participants who wear a wet suit within this temperature range shall not be eligible for prizes or awards. Age group participants shall not wear wet suits in water temperatures equal to or greater than 84 degrees Fahrenheit. The wetsuit policy for elite athletes shall be determined by the USAT Athletes Advisory Council. The AAC has set the wetsuit maximum temperature for elite/pros at 68 degrees for swim distances less than 3000 meters and 71.6 degrees for distances of 3000 meters or greater.
- USAT Rule 5.3 Knowledge of Course. The sole responsibility of knowing and following the prescribed cycling course rests with each participant. No adjustments in times or results shall be made for participants who fail to follow the propercouse fan reason whatsoever
- USAT Rule, (b) Chin Strap Violations. The helmet must be fastened before the participant first mounts the bicycle, at all
times when the participant is on the bicycle, and must not be unfastened until the participant has dismounted.
Any violation of this Section 5.9(b) which occurs while the participant is in the transition area shall result in a
variable time penalty. Any other violation of this Section shall result in disqualification. This Section 5.9(b)
shall be enforced at all times while at the event site on race day.